Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When the unthinkable happens...

This afternoon I got a text from a friend saying that a shooting had occurred at the high school I attended. Her sister goes to a different high school in the district and apparently their school was also in lockdown to ensure the safety of the students.

I felt strange about this news, but wasn't really conscious of it until I came home after buying milk and eggs at the grocery store and read an article from the local news-station's website. My school. The principal, Dr. Curtis Case, and vice principal, Mrs. Vicki Kaspar, were shot and wounded today by a student who later died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Mrs. Kaspar is the mother-in-law of a friend of mine. Her son was also my physics teacher back in the day.

I cannot imagine the thoughts, emotions, and decisions that led up to such a horrible tragedy. Lives are hanging in the balance and three families are currently suffering. As I contemplate the implications of this event I hope that I will not lose my faith in the future.

I work at a school. I love the students I interact with and the thought of one student suffering to the extent that he acted out in such a desperate way chills me. My heart pleads for a full recovery for both Dr. Case and Mrs. Kaspar, as well as healing for all of the families and individuals impacted by today's tragic event.


Update 1/6/11: Dr. Vicki Kaspar died yesterday evening as a result of her injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment