Four wooden walls stand between me and my goal. Warmth surrounds me as I stealthily lean over to encase one of the vertices of my quadrilateral foe. I pull and my opponent pulls back, causing the cotton fabric to slip through my fingers. Battle one goes to the enemy but I have not been thwarted. I determine to make this second attempt the only one that counts. This time I put a little weight in it and lean back, simultaneously snapping the elasticked corner into place. I rejoice, knowing I have conquered at least the first of four rounds. The second side is too easy and as I attempt the third I notice that my teammate is mocking me. I had failed to notice that it had turned 90 degrees and I would have to start over. I thought it was on my side, but grasped that there were now two forces against me. I straightened everything out and began anew. 1, 2, 3, then 4 corners enclosed in the aroma of cleanliness, I feel triumphant knowing that I will sleep in clean sheets tonight.
I leave my bedroom and head for the kitchen, where Neopolitan baked ziti is baking in my oven, the fragrance of red and white pasta sauces, cheese, and a hint of nutmeg wafting by my battle-exhausted body. The kitchen timer finally announces the end of the hour-long magical chemistry that had dominated the evening. One glance in the oven ensures me that this picture-perfect entree is finished. Hesitantly I take the first bite, hoping that the taste is as good as the smell and appearance of this made-from-scratch masterpiece. Fortunately, my hopes were confirmed and my taste buds treated to a combination of tastes so homey and comfortable I can only imagine that this will become a favorite, although time-consuming recipe that is sure to torture some future daughter-in-law.
And this is what happens when I am left with too much alone time.
Mmmm, I can smell it and taste it. You describe it so completely. Well written. And well played.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! Sarah, you are amazing. I absolutely LOVE your writing. You should start a column or write a book: this is incredible!
ReplyDeletebtw, I miss you. We need to have a party sometime. I hope things are going well.