Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Perfectionism

The human story does not always unfold like a mathematical calculation on the principle that two and two make four. Sometimes in life they make five or minus three; and sometimes the blackboard topples down in the middle of the sum and leaves the class in disorder and the pedagogue with a black eye. ~Winston Churchill

I just finished a project that took me all weekend and wasn't perfect. I wanted it to be perfect because someone paid me to do it. But it won't be perfect because an imperfect human being made it.

I wanted to hide when he came to pick it up--to throw the shirt at him and tell him to go away.

It turns out that I am a free spirit when it comes to my creativity. When I feel like I have to bend to someone else's idea I get stressed out and frustrated. That's why sewing has not yet reached a place that is relaxing to me. And I have probably just taken my last "professional" sewing gig for a while. Like maybe a decade.

Just thought you ought to know so you can not ask me to sew something for you. Well, just don't offer to pay me for it. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, dearie. I do that with everything... writing, photography, cooking, throwing parties (and book clubs). If things don't go how I think they should have or if it doesn't have the sounds that I was so determined it should have, I just want to hide and I stop trying. Very stressful since nothing is ever really perfect.

    ReplyDelete