Sunday, June 27, 2010

Flower on the wall

I honestly don't think I have enough of these semi-philosophical posts where I talk about something I saw or did. I went to the rodeo yesterday but there wasn't much to talk about in the way of philosophy there. No, today I have a thought about something I saw while I was walking home from the bookstore last Monday after a hard day of everything going wrong. I was walking down the hill to my house and decided to walk though the little stepped garden that the lovely people at BYU grounds carefully plant and care for. I was walking down thinking about how hard my life was (boo hoo me) and then I stopped and noticed a beautiful yellow flower growing out of the wall. All of the other flowers were growing in their designated flower-growing areas, complete with dirt, but this flower was growing right out of the brick wall. At first I thought, (seriously) hey why is that weed growing out of the wall--they should fix that. But the more I looked at this flower (which I am convinced was not a weed) the more I realized that this flower was exactly what I needed to see at that moment when I was wondering why my life wasn't headed down the path I had always imagined--why I seemed to find myself outside of the comfortable growing patch like the dirt flowerbeds the other plants seemed to love. That little flower that could was showing me that I am also capable of growing in a place that seems less than ideal. If that flower can grow out of a brick wall, so can I. Whatever my brick wall may be, I can be creative enough to find the ability to thrive there. Today a friend reminded me of a great verse of scripture that means so much to me. You may be familiar with it: 1 Nephi 3:7. This scripture is often quoted because it is awesome and today I needed to hear it again. I am not designed to fail, even when I sometimes find myself in places that feel like a failure of some sort. Heavenly Father wants me to succeed and has "prepared a way" so that I can accomplish my goals and thrive, even in the crack of a brick wall like my flower friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment