Sunday, January 29, 2012

After

Well. I survived.

I ran my first half-marathon yesterday. I say first because I would totally do another one. Like for sure. I'm going to do another half-marathon. Now, I've never had a baby before and I am NOT comparing half-marathons and giving birth directly, nor am I going to say that one is harder or easier than the other. But go with me.  I think they are related only because there is so much misery during the "before" processes (training/pregnancy) and an awful lot of pain--physical and mental--during the "actual" (half-marathon/giving birth) and yet somewhere in the "after" (sore body/baby that never sleeps, etc...) you think back and say, yep, I'll do that again sometime. Not tomorrow, but again.

There's a satisfaction in finishing something that seems physically impossible when you first think about it. You know that other people have done it and survived--some even like it--but somehow it seems too impossible for you to complete. And then you do.

So here's to my first in hopefully a long string of half-marathons.

Maybe tucked in there we'll find a full marathon...

No comments:

Post a Comment