Thursday, September 29, 2011

Keeping Score

The hot sun beats down on my neck as little droplets of sweat bead on my forehead. Ladies don't sweat, they glisten, I think as I turn to look at the others who have gathered in the heat to watch the game. The sound of the ball against the bat resonates with the cheers of the teammates, the calls of the umpire, the chatter of the spectators, and the occasional burst of wind in the trees. I lean back, trying to find a comfortable position on the metal bleachers while still staying in the shade. The game is interesting, but I find my mind wandering to the million things that are waiting to get done--things that I will have to do. As the list gets longer and the temperature seems to increase, my desire to accomplish anything diminishes until I am wishing for rain, a power outage, the zombie apocalypse--anything that will get me out of my to-do list for at least a day. The weight of a hundred undone tasks threatens to press down on me until I am as flat as the grass under the bleachers where we sit and keep score.

No comments:

Post a Comment