Monday, April 11, 2011

Professional Development

Well readers,

The day has come when I have to post about something that terrifies and excites me. No, I'm not getting married. I wish that's what I were writing about.

I'm writing about something different. A major career breakthrough. Remember how I took the poll about what I should do with my life? Well, behind your back I have been applying to some of those jobs that you thought I might be best at.

If you didn't know, I applied a long time ago to Teach for America and got rejected. But, with the encouragement of a friend who also applied to AZTF, I filled out the application to teach in Arizona. My Arizona weekend was to interview for the program, and, like I said, I totally rocked it because they picked me! That is a huge deal and quite an honor. If you don't know what AZTF is, you can read more about that here.The only fly in the ice cream is that I've been assigned to Yuma. Do you know anything about Yuma? I didn't. I now know that it is 23 miles from Mexico, 3 hours from San Diego, 3 hours from Phoenix, 6 1/2 hours from the Grand Canyon, and very hot. It has also been described as a "large town" and a nice place to live by a current AZTF who lives and works there, and a great place to drive through on a road trip by the person from Tucson whom I met yesterday on a walk around Provo.

This would be a huge step in the establishment of my teaching career. I would be living and teaching in Yuma for 3 years while becoming certified and potentially getting my master's degree. That's more than I can say for my Utah prospects at the moment.

I am a little nervous though about moving so far away. Yuma is 11 hours from Provo, and 25 hours from Omaha (I'm sure I would never drive). That puts me further away from home than ever. Wait--that's not true. People, I once lived in Germany. For 18 months. That's a long time too. And I got no Christmas or spring breaks, and I did not get summers off.

There is so much good to be done in Yuma! Although there isn't a huge LDS single's population, all it takes is one right? ;) There is work for me to do, and I might be the only person who can do some of the things that need to be done. I've had itchy feet to get out of Provo for a while now, and not only because I cannot date here. Something is pulling me away.

I know you can't make the decision for me, but what are your thoughts? Would you ever do something like this?

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats Sarah! That sounds like a great experience for you! What grade and subject will you be teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've already made the decision...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should do it. Adventures are always good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy!

    That is so great! I am glad that you got the job! I say go for it! It is another experience to have! Even if it is crazy hot:) Plus you can take a little trip to the beach over the weekend, being so close to San Diego!

    ReplyDelete