Wednesday, February 24, 2010
I forgot to say Happy New Year...
...Happy Groundhog's Day, Happy President's Day, Happy Valentine's Day, Happy Black History Month, and Happy Mardi Gras (if that is, in fact, how one celebrates that holiday). For that I apologize. Not to complain to the wide world of the Internet, but school has been really pressing down on me this semester. Who would have thought that the higher the numbers they use to describe a class, the more work and fewer instructions you get. :) It has been a hard landing in realityville for me. But what I've learned out of this is 1, that the saying one of my Family Life professors always says really is true: Life is hard, but you can do hard things, and 2, that I love to reach my goals and check things off of my to-do lists. There is something incredibly satisfying when I can get things out of the way. I haven't learned though, not to procrastinate the tasks that are REALLY difficult and instead face them head-on. I don't think I'm quite brave enough for that. But I did experience a miracle today. Quick back story (and I mean quick): I am in a philosophy class and understand probably 50% of what is going on if I'm lucky (and the class is in English, unlike the majority of my other classes). I have to give a presentation about something that has to do with the class, and therefore something that I know very little (aka nothing) about. Said presentation is scheduled to happen on Friday (yes that same Friday that will happen in 2 days). Today my presenting partner and I talked with our professor about the presentation, I got to ask some of my questions that probably gave away the fact that my comprehension rate is very low, and we asked him if we couldn't possibly extend our presentation until Monday of the following week. He agreed. I'm going to let you read that again: he agreed. There was no "but you've known about this the whole semester", or "if I let you postpone then everyone else would have to get that chance", or "yes but it will be late". None of that--a simple question of "if you think that will help you, then we'll push it back". AMAZING. When I walked into that class today I had a giant weight on my back, knowing that this presentation was not only going to thrash me in the next couple of days, but also that I still wouldn't have the chance to do anything near my best work because of all of the other assignments that are due on Friday. When I walked out, I had the peace-of-mind that an extension generally seems to lend, plus the confidence that I can understand and conquer the philosophical materials needed to give this presentation. Watch out Schiller and Schlegel. I'm coming for you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment