My new favorite thing to do: bake cookies with something hidden (or melted) into the middle. On Saturday night I made Rolo cookies. They are like the simplest cookies to make--seriously--but they taste super amazing. So amazing that they disappear almost instantaneously. I took them to our YSA fireside and they were gone before I even got one (good thing I snuck a couple at home...). Today I brought the FHE treat. Not wanting everyone to get too much of a good thing--although I doubt there is such a thing as too many Rolo cookies--I made peppermint patty cookies. Hardly different, but just different enough to seem different to me. My next challenge is to put something non-chocolate into the middle of my cookies. But no jam. Too messy.
Want to know the "recipe" for Rolo/peppermint patty cookies? I have it memorized.
1 chocolate cake mix. I like devil's food.
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 package of Rolos or peppermint patties.
Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix up the dough--it will be very thick. For rolo cookies, take a rolo and put just enough dough on it to hide it completely--remember it's a surprise! They will look like little balls on the pan. For peppermint cookies, take a nickel-sized ball of dough and smash it until it's pretty flat in your hand. Press the peppermint patty into the dough, then get more dough to press onto the bottom so that the patty is hidden.
Bake for about 7 minutes. Both of these cookies are better cooled, so resist the urge to eat them warm. (It will be hard, but worth the self-control.)
I get about 36 rolo cookies, but today only got 29 peppermint cookies. I would plan on 28 because a couple of my cookies leaked and ruined the surprise and I should have used the extra dough to seal them up better.
I am not a food blogger, so I don't have pictures of these cookies--look them up on pinterest or something.
Maybe I like surprise cookies so much right now because I feel surprised by a lot of things--like how many Gospel insights I gain because of something that happened at school. All of my "lives" are overlapping and intertwining and it is sometimes hard.
That said, this is probably one of the busiest weeks I will be experiencing. After Saturday though my certification classes should be finished (hallelujah!), but if you don't hear from me before then (besides right now), don't feel sad. Odds are no one else did either.
Don't forget to think of what I can put in my cookies. I'm looking for something non-chocolate. I'll settle for something white chocolate that I can put inside a yellow cake cookie--or better yet--a funfetti cookie! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment